20 Oct Devonshire Custom Homes Tips for a Safe and Happy Halloween
Kids love Halloween. A night of Trick-or-treating, visiting haunted houses and the fun of coming up with spooky, fun costumes makes for a magical night for kids. As long as everyone stays safe, that is.
At Devonshire Custom Homes, we know our home owners with kids love the joy on their kid’s faces, but for these moms and dads there often is a fine line between Halloween fun and safety concerns. With that in mind, we’d like to offer a few tips for making it a safe and Happy Halloween 2016!
The National Safety Council Recommends these Best Practices for Halloween:
To help ensure adults and children have a safe holiday, the American Academy of Pediatrics has compiled a list of Halloween Safety Tips, including do’s and don’ts on the trick-or-treat trail:
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on the neighborhood rounds
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you
- Agree on a specific time when children should return home
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat
Children and adults are reminded to put electronic devices down, keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street. NSC offers the following safety tips for parents – and anyone who plans to be on the road during trick-or-treat hours:
Safety Tips for Motorists
- Watch for children walking on roadways, medians and curbs
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully
- At twilight and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing
- Instruct your children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas and avoid trick-or-treating alone
- Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home
- Teach your children to never enter a stranger’s home
- All costumes, wigs and accessories should be fire-resistant
- If children are allowed out after dark, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bags to make sure they are visible
- When buying Halloween makeup, make sure it is nontoxic and always test it in a small area first
- Remove all makeup before children go to bed to prevent skin and eye irritation
Looking for Halloween events in Tampa Bay? Here is a list of Ghoulishly Good Events from WFLA-TV
From all of us at Devonshire Custom Homes, Happy Halloween!