24 Aug Your Custom Home End of Summer Home Maintenance Checklist
At the beginning of Summer we mentioned that there are some quarterly maintenance tips that you should be adding to your home care. Here now is our End of Summer Maintenance post.
6 Point End of Summer Maintenance Checklist
- Clean bathroom fans – Summer humidity makes the bathroom fans in your home work harder than usual to clear the air after showers. Now is the time to clean these fans. Simply take off the cover and use a vacuum attachment to clear out the dust and grime that may have been hidden behind the cover.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors – Now is the time to test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the house and replace batteries as needed. Its also a good time to schedule professional service to clean the HVAC system.
- Clean light fixtures and ceiling fan blades – Dust and dead bugs may have built up in and around your light fixtures. Use a step ladder and clean using a vacuum with an attachment or long handled duster to clean the pendant lights over your kitchen island, chandeliers, and fan blades.
- Wash out your washer and dryer – Over the summer months, sand from towels and swimsuits can build up in the washing machine and dryer making your clothes come out less than clean. Wipe sand and grit from inside the drum and rubber seal, then run the washer while empty with a specialty washer-cleaning product.
- Inspect and clean gutters – As the summer rains dissipate, its time to inspect your rain gutters for damage and clear out wet leaves from your rain gutters and make sure downspouts are clear.
- Check the home exterior – There is no better time to than the end of summer to check the exterior of your home for signs of damage, from roof to foundation.
Now that you have completed your 6 point end of summer maintenance, its time to relax. Prepare to enjoy a cooler summer evening as summer winds down with an outdoor dinner with your family and friends on your deck or back patio.
Let us know if you have some items you would add to the end of summer maintenance checklist. You can comment below if you would like to share.