12 Dec Checklist for the Best Custom Home Building Experience
Building a new custom home to realize your dream home is an exciting project and you want it to be the best custom home building experience possible. We understand.
With over 100 years of experience in custom home building, we know how to take the stress out of the new home building process so that you can enjoy bringing your dream to reality.
With that in mind, here is our checklist for enjoying the best custom home building process:
- Develop your Custom Home Requirements and Goals: Begin by establishing the number of bedrooms and bathrooms you will require. Determine your must-have items for your new home. Separate those from your wish list items. Set goals for your project, and rank them in order of importance. What do you care most about? Finishes, space planning, architectural features, space, budget? This will help your builder understand what’s important to you, and spend your money in the right places. With a clear understanding of your goals, the project can proceed smoothly and stress-free.
- Organize your inspiration: Collect photos and create a vision board before you begin the design discussions with your builder. Pinterest and Houzz are a wonderful resource.
- Financing: After determining the size and type of custom home that you want to build, financing will be the next step. Your builder should be able to help you with financing options to meet your criteria.
- Lot Selection: You will want to find the right lot for your dream home. What is important to you? The view, proximity to shopping, schools, entertainment, dining, your workplace? Will the lot be adequate for the footprint of the home design you have in mind? Your builder can help with these decisions. At Devonshire Custom Homes, we can guide you to a lot in your price range and neighborhood that meets your home vision criteria.
- Decisive House Plan Design: To the extent possible, be decisive. Your builder will provide expert advise, based on your lot survey and requirements you set out in item #1. Listen to the experts about layout, elevation style and finishes, and then trust in your own decisions.
- Enjoy the process: This should be something you will always remember fondly. The more collaborative it is with your builder, the better the experience and memory.
- Communicate: Regular communication will avoid misunderstandings, confusion, mistakes, and re-work. As needed, walk through the framed house and go over details like cable or telephone locations, for instance.
- Be flexible: In a large scale project like this, with so many different people working to achieve your vision; it is important to be flexible. Delays may happen, and mistakes may be made. Understanding that ahead of time, and working hard on communication will help you both minimize issues and cope with them if they arise.
- Move into Your Dream Home! There is nothing like moving into your dream home. Customized to your personality and created just for you and your families, needs, it is a dream come true. Enjoy the moment!
Are you ready to begin building your dream custom home? Use the button below to request a free, no-obligation consultation with our team.Free Consultation