05 Apr 6 Week Countdown to A Stress-Free Move to Your New Devonshire Custom Home
At Devonshire Custom Homes, we want your move into your new custom home to be a stress-free move. That’s why we have put together this list of tips and a six week countdown checklist so that you can rest assured that you have a plan that covers everything.
With that in mind, here’s our six week suggested plan to get you started on a stress-free move:
Six Weeks Prior to Stress-Free Moving Day
This is the time to begin your stress-free move planning. You will need to get organized including things like:
- Audit what will be moved. Make a list of each room and what will be moved to your new home.
- Determine what you will pack yourself. Make a list of things you would rather pack yourself as opposed to having your movers do it.
- Get moving estimates. Get estimates from at least three moving companies based on your plan.
- Get Moving boxes Determine how many boxes it will take to move the items that you plan to pack yourself. (We recommend having an extra 10 or so for moving day for anything you did not account for in your plan)
- Get labels for your boxes
- Check Insurance. Contact your agent to see if you will need to make any changes to your policy.
- Change of Address. Fill out a post office change of address card
- Create a Move File. You are going to need a file for your plan, and documents, receipts etc. associated with your move. Make it now so everything is in one place.
Five Weeks Prior to Stress-Free Moving Day
At five weeks out its time to start letting people know of your pending move.
- Billing Address Changes. This is the time to notify companies of what your new address will be and when it will be effective.
- Begin Packing Little Used Items. Now is the time to begin packing the little things that you seldom use (cookware, items stored in the attic, garage, non-essential clothing, etc). This will save you time on your moving day.
- Pack related thing together. Label boxes accordingly. This will make unpacking much easier.
- Take digital photos. Now is a good time to take pictures of how home theatre / stereo systems are set up, how your computer stations are set up, etc. You’ll be much happier at move in having images guide your set up rather than trying to remember how you “had it before’”
Four Weeks Prior to Stress-Free Moving Day
This is a good time to begin purging your home of items that you do not intend to move to your new custom home.
- Garage Sale. If your current community allows, plan a moving day sale to get rid of things you no longer want.
- Donate to Charity. If a garage sale is not feasible, or you have items left over following the sale, donate the remainder to charity
Three Weeks Prior to Stress-Free Moving Day
Your move is now getting close. This is the time to take care of things like your car registration and any access issues that will affect your move into your new custom home.
- Notify Florida DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) of your new address
- Reserve Moving Access. Reserve any street or parking access required for movers park their truck
- Empty Hiding Places. Check places you hide extra keys, jewelry, etc. and be sure you have removed everything so nothing is left behind.
- Start packing. Begin now and over the next few weeks, packing items. Pack each room individually. Pack rooms in the order you want the items to come out and label things accordingly.
Two Weeks Prior to Stress-Free Moving Day
Now things are really near. This is when we often forget to take care of services you will need when you move into your new custom home. Take a moment and get these things set up.
- TV and Internet. Notify your TV and internet provider of your pending move and arrange for service at your new home.
- Now is the time to contact utilities to schedule them to be turned on in your new home.
- Travel Kit. To make moving day and the first few days in your new home easier, pack a moving kit with critical items like checkbooks, credit cards, ID’s, keys, toiletries, towels, and first aid items.
One Week Prior to Stress-Free Moving Day
You can just feel the excitement surrounding your move at this point. And since you have been following your moving plan, anxiety is at a minimum. Good work! Now, for some final items:
- Visit the Vet. If you have pets, take them to the vet for immunization, etc.
- Share your new address. Inform family and friends of your new address
- Fill Prescriptions. You will likely have a new pharmacy near your new address. Make sure you have enough medication on hand for the first few weeks until you have time to visit your new pharmacy.
- Check packing. Check all the rooms to be sure that you have completed everything you planned to pack yourself. Be sure everything is labeled correctly for the move.
- Create a moving floor plan. Identify where each set of boxes and furniture will go in the new home and create a floor plan for the movers.
One Day Prior to your Stress-Free Move
It’s time for final checks and to say goodbye to the old residence.
- Disconnect appliances. Make sure you have disconnected appliances in advance of movers arrival.
- Defrost Refrigerator and Freezer. Prop open the doors and let them defrost.
- Drain gas and oil. If you are moving mowers and other yard appliances, drain the gas and oil from them and dispose of these items.
- Back up Computers. Back up and turn off all comptures.
Stress-Free Moving Day
It’s D-day. The move is now a reality. And since you have been following your checklist, its going to be a stress-free day!
- Guide Movers About Fragile Items. Show the movers any breakables and special items that need extra care.
- Final Check. Before departing the old house, check all closets, cabinets, and storage areas to be sure that you didn’t leave anything behind.
- Moving Floor Plan. Give the movers the floor plan you created so they know which boxes will go in what room in the new home.
Relax. Enjoy Getting Settled.
In the words of Jimmy Fallon, “This is it!. You are here. Welcome. Welcome! You have now completed your stress-free move.
- Unpack as Needed. Today, only unpack what is really needed. Take your time getting situated.
- Unpack your TV and Computer. Check your file and remember what day you scheduled your TV / Internet provider to connect your services.
- Enjoy Your New Community and Home. Meet the neighbors. Explore dining and shopping. And welcome home!