29 Dec 5 New Year Resolutions for Homeowners
Each year we make New Year’s Resolutions for ourselves. You probably have already come up with your personal New Year resolutions, but maybe this year its time to make New Year Resolutions for your home.
To get you started, here are 5 New Years Resolutions for Homeowners that we recommend:
- De-clutter your home: Streamline your stuff and get rid of things that you have been hanging onto, but never seem to leave the place you stashed them in your home. Donate the stuff you don’t need to charity. You’ll be glad you did, and someone will actually make use of those things you didn’t.
- Shrink Your Bills – by being more energy efficient: Simple things will make a difference in your bills. Turn off lights when you leave a room. Set the air conditioner to 77 by day and turn it down at night to cool the house. Install energy efficient LED light-bulbs and low-flow shower heads. Turn off power strips and set your computer to sleep mode when not in use. Consider drought tolerant landscaping. Do a bit of research and you’ll find many more ways to be energy efficient.
- Create a Home Maintenance Schedule: It may sound like honey do’s, but map out one weekend a month to take care of timely home maintenance like replacing air filters, cleaning dryer vents, checking gutters, inspecting weather stripping, checking bathroom caulking, trimming trees, repairing your roof, etc. Create a calendar and make these small repairs and replacements one day a month. You’ll be glad you did, and if it could your house would thank you.
- Do a Safety Audit: You should check your smoke detectors every January 1, but the now is the time to check other things as well. Consider installing a carbon monoxide detector for gas appliances or fireplaces. Check all electrical cords for fraying. Check you security alarm system and all connection points. You may also want to test your home for radon. Tests cost as little as $20 at your local hardware store.
- Entertain More: Yep, now that your home is safe, clean and energy efficient, plan to spend more time with family and friends at your place. Consider adding some new plants, rearranging some furnishings and freshening the decor a bit. Then, invite neighbors, friends and family over and enjoy the New Year.
This is our starter recommended New Year’s resolution list. I bet you can come up with more. Happy New Year!